gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:56 pm 

Following Marks 308 V12 project and remembering my first car: Fiat 500/Dog house. Made me wonder if I have learned any skills over the years...and I realized I have a few.

When I was in Grammar School (Queens NY) I lusted after a motorized bicycle in a front yard leaning against a porch of a house which had to be an original farmhouse as it occupied a full city block. Each day I wondered and finally with my $20 graduation gift, I made an offer and bought it. A standard 26" boys bike with a single cylinder motor mounted to the front fork which would drive the front wheel by friction with a metal shaft resting on the tire. It would start in the same manner, pedaled it for shaft to turn and engine to start... short lived happiness. No START! So I sought out another older boy with some knowledge to figure it out. Somehow he determined it needed a new carburetor. I don't know from whence it came but a drab green military surplus carb materialized from somewhere, and it bolted right up to the bottom of the engine.(Did the Army use military grade lawn mowers?) Problem solved......NO START! Well down draft carbs do not work on updraft installation...Project ended...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:25 pm 

lol.

I bought a moped at a yard sale.

M - does it run?
seller(kid) - it did
me - ok

I dug it home and started cleaning it up and...WTF! there's no carb?

back the yard sale to talk to the kid...oh that's right, my dad put that on the chain saw. Sorry..but it did run before that so it's still yours.

Doh!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 pm 

5th grade. Bought a fly by string airplane from a elderly retired neighbor for $2. :D He said he tried to start it but never got it running. I tried all afternoon to get it to fire. :x Finally figured out I could drip fuel into the carb and it would "hit". :? I found that the cool looking blue fuel line was clean and the cool blue was gelled fuel. :roll: Rolled a socket over the line and squeezed out the bad fuel. Thing started right up. :lol: I ran to the basketball court across the street and took off. Made about two laps and flew it into the ground, hard. :cry: There were sooo many pieces. All broken, last time I tried flying.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:26 am 

A story from a friend, because it sorta ties into the last story and I can't remember anything else.

So my friend Sam was out with his buddy drinking one night. Then, onto buddy's house. Flying a radio controlled airplane sounded like fun. Sam questioned if flying at night was a good idea. Confirmed, "do it all the time", was the response. Soon after take off, the plane promptly flew threw a neighbors window. I can only imagine what it would be like to wake up to a small aircraft exploding into the house. The plane's owner was focused on picking up plane parts/remains, while the neighbors shared their lack of amusement with the event.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:36 am 

kens wrote:
A story from a friend, because it sorta ties into the last story and I can't remember anything else.

So my friend Sam was out with his buddy drinking one night. Then, onto buddy's house. Flying a radio controlled airplane sounded like fun. Sam questioned if flying at night was a good idea. Confirmed, "do it all the time", was the response. Soon after take off, the plane promptly flew threw a neighbors window. I can only imagine what it would be like to wake up to a small aircraft exploding into the house. The plane's owner was focused on picking up plane parts/remains, while the neighbors shared their lack of amusement with the event.
Hilarious!!!

Many years ago I ran a Simca 1000. I had sourced some twin carbs for it and the first thing I did was modify the throttle linkage by removing the throttle stop so I could use it for the other carbs but never got around to that so I ended up driving the car for quite a long time with the possibility of a stuck throttle at the wrong time. How silly was I doing that step first ... and yes I had a stuck throttle once while driving past a primary school ... I could return it by using my foot to pull the throttle pedal back but ...
Pete