gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gemellocattivo emblem
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 am 

My buddy Dave has agreed to make a "gemellocattivo" emblem for me and share how it's done.

Does anyone else want one? If there's interest he can do a small production run.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 am 

I've been trading emails with Dave about the recessed lettering and making it look right on a machined part......machining square corners is not trivial and going much under a 1/32" dia end mill sucks so I think the plan is to lay it out in CAD and see hoe it looks with the .016R the 1/32 cutter leaves and then decide with if we really need to be thinking about EDMing or broaching the corners sharper to make it look right.

Attachments:
1985-ferrari-308-gtsi-qv-rear-taillight cropped.jpg
1985-ferrari-308-gtsi-qv-rear-taillight cropped.jpg [ 43.47 KiB | Viewed 21896 times ]

Post subject: gemellocattivo emblem
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:28 am 

Project Artwork Scope: Create the official "gamellocattivo" emblem, based on the font style of the original quattrovalvole emblem. We are going go through a typical product development process to create the official logo and emblem of gamellocattivo. General for this project include Conceptual Design, 3D CAD, CAM, Fabrication, & Finishing. If you have any questions regarding acronyms, JFGI.

Conceptual Design: We start with a beautiful photo (see attached). I will first import this photo into Adobe Illustrator, scale accordingly (3.6" width, text height will be determine by given font), setup some guides, and trace the quattrovalvole font. This provides a starting point for the new emblem. From here, I will create a 2D design, 3D design, create a CAM program, machine the emblem (mill), and finish.

From here, I will right click "change font" and simply type "gamellocattivo." Ok, it's not that easy! I will certainly implement original letters where possible and create the new letters utilizing the font rules and style to the best of my ability. Concepts will be generated, collaborative feedback will be received, and an excellent result will be achieved.

3D Design: I will import my 2D vector data into a 3D modeling program, add thickness, add runners (material to connect letters), and work out miscellaneous design details to make this emblem machinable. This 3D design is considered a solid model or 3D CAD.

CAM: The 3D model is yet again imported into another program, CAM, which permits you to specify cutting tools, material, speeds/feeds, simulate the machining operations, etc. Once satisfactory, a post file is created and delivered to the CNC mill.

Machining: Setup the CNC (set zeros, touch off tools, may have lost may of you with CAM, which stands for computer aided manufacturing). Time to make chips! Once completed, I plan to wet blast this emblem, which will provide a matte or frosted appearance after anodizing.

Finishing: Since this emblem will be composed of aluminum, the consensus is to anodize black (Type II). Once complete, the recessed lettering will need to be painted white. Paint details TBD.

Attachments:
1985-ferrari-308-gtsi-qv-rear-taillight cropped.jpg [ 43.47 KiB | Viewed 21897 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:15 pm 

Might be an idea to pull a silicone 2 piece mould off the one he cuts so you could pour black polymer ones. I use a resin here from easyflo that you can hammer without it breaking. Cures in 5 minutes, can be painted, does not shrink, plus its stable in sunlight.

Food for thought or perhaps for those that want a memento for the shelf without paying cnc'd billet prices.

Will be watching, thanks Dave!

Brian,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:20 pm 

dyaeger wrote:

From here, I will right click "change font" and simply type "gamellocattivo." Ok, it's not that easy! I will certainly implement original letters where possible and create the new letters utilizing the font rules and style to the best of my ability. Concepts will be generated, collaborative feedback will be received, and an excellent result will be achieved.

LOL

I used to work with Dave and I'd walk over and point at something I didn't like and say "can't you just right click - fix it?"

....which I always found way funnier than Dave did :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:32 pm 

Well, I was more looking at something like this for my baby.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 15.19 KiB | Viewed 21828 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 17.56 KiB | Viewed 21828 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 17.38 KiB | Viewed 21828 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:49 am 

Got an email form Dave this morning......I think it looks mighty fine :)

He's made some slight changes to the style to make it machineable....but I think it looks really good.

Attachments:
1985-ferrari-308-gtsi-qv-rear-taillight cropped.jpg [ 43.47 KiB | Viewed 21808 times ]
GC Capture 1.JPG
GC Capture 1.JPG [ 18.73 KiB | Viewed 21808 times ]
GC Capture 2.JPG
GC Capture 2.JPG [ 20.55 KiB | Viewed 21808 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:59 am 

Is it meant to be GAMELLOCATTIVE as per the badge or GEMELLOCATTIVO as per the web address?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:16 pm 

a1exander wrote:
Is it meant to be GAMELLOCATTIVE as per the badge or GEMELLOCATTIVO as per the web address?

It was meant to be spelling the same as the website :oops:

All fixed. It was also scaled too small due to a misunderstanding between Dave and I....that's fix now too and I think it looks pretty nice! Dave does nice work.

Attachments:
gemellocattivo 1.JPG
gemellocattivo 1.JPG [ 17.42 KiB | Viewed 21800 times ]
gemellocattivo 2.JPG
gemellocattivo 2.JPG [ 27.01 KiB | Viewed 21800 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm 

mk e wrote:
a1exander wrote:

It was meant to be spelling the same as the website :oops:

All fixed. It was also scaled too small due to a misunderstanding between Dave and I....that's fix now too and I think it looks pretty nice! Dave does nice work.

No that we agree on the spelling how the hell to you pronounce it?