gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: o5e firmware
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm 

apalrd wrote:
Multiplexing a lot of high speed IO on a smaller number of timers is a recipe for disaster if they ever happen to overlap or be close to overlap.....

Some of the usefulness is reduced if it's too difficult to modify.

1 timer is what they have, so its a SW solution for what most consider a HW application.

I would argue ALL the usefulness is gone when its too difficult to work with.....and most car guys have little to no C or any other programming experience which is why the commercial replacement ECUs are pre-setup for most applications these days....plug and play which includes a base tune. The setup needs to be simple....then there are people who can do more, but I couldn't actually program much beyond basic math functions which is why something like enginelab works for me.

tubines huh? .....constant flow, no time critical anything other then measure rpm I guess.....yeah, must be nice :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: o5e firmware
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:58 pm 

To me, easy to modify was easy to add little bits of code here and there to deal with unforeseen or unusual conditions. Sometimes we also wrote custom CAN code to interface to an existing gauge or relay module or something like that. Touching the core engine control code was rare once it was written, although some emissions controls would adjust fuel/air or spark. It was also very handy to deal with non-engine-related things in the existing ECU, where a very small amount of code was needed (i.e. on one vehicle we would read in buttons and use that to map to servo PWM signals to control a shift motor controller). None of this requires modifying the low-level code, but having a user space for user code is nice on an ecu.

Turbines are very simple to control until they go wrong. Given a fixed fuel flow, they will reach some steady state power setting, so the only challenge is changing that fuel flow without melting anything. They still have a happy fuel/air ratio range, and disturbing that can cause instability.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~Arthur C. Clarke

Profile Send private message  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6