gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:25 pm 

I put the 3rd coat on at lunch so it just needs a quick sand tonight or tomorrow and call it done....I slathered more than I realized as I use nearly a full bucket :o

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:51 am 

Did the final sand last time last night after priming the stair riser/runners. This morning I see a few little places on the stars that need to be filled so I guess this tonight is do the fill and prime the walls then tomorrow paint the stairs. Sunday was to be paint the ceiling but there seems to be some confusion on the floor with tile remaining a live option so I can't paint the ceiling knowing I may still be making a mess grinding....so stair railings instead I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:19 pm 

8 gallons for ceiling paint went on yesterday. Today was just a bit of cleanup, tomorrow rails begin.

I ordered a screen for the theater today....I surprised myself and bought a grey one. They say if you have ambient light its just way better....well see. I think we are going to paint the walls around it black and see how it is. I can feel this project ending :)

Attachments:
screen.JPG
screen.JPG [ 287.63 KiB | Viewed 3499 times ]
screen 2.JPG
screen 2.JPG [ 141.72 KiB | Viewed 3499 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:40 pm 

mk e wrote:
kkrace wrote:
Try the joint setting compound(not the ez sand) that comes in the brown bags for your first coat while taping.

You've told me that before and I did use it in the past....I think I was buying the ez-sand though, don't recall but I liked it and its nice that it keeps on the shelf forever. I stopped using it after I had my septic back up at my last house...... I did a lot of work and washed up the tools in the sink, then the stuff apparently hardened in a valve/turn in the tank and backed everything up. After that I went back to the dissolves in water type, but treating it like cement and cleaning up outside is for sure an option too.....I keep thinking I'm done with drywall so I'll just buy 1 more bucket and......

I use the EZ Sand at my beach house for quick one day patching jobs but completely different product than the joint compound. I'm on septic too so I scrap the knives against each other into a trash bag so by the time I am rinsing them off in the wash sink there isn't much on there but a thin film. Any leftover in the bucket gets scraped into the trash bag too and in 2 hours its solid and don't have to worry about it in the trash bag.

I use it because my second and third coats go on much better and dry faster because my first coat didn't shrink or crack. No matter how thick I put it on I can second coat the next day without having to use heat guns . I'll fill 1/2 inch holes with the stuff and the next day use just a thin film of the premix stuff in the bucket.

If nothing else pick up a bag for small repair jobs. I just mix some up in a red solo cup with a 1 inch wide knife, do my patch and toss out the cup and whatever is left in it. Last bag from Depot was called Durabond 90 Joint compound

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:28 pm 

all right, here's some durabond 90 slathered on...it seemed like the actual working time was about 1/2 90 they claim. I replaced the normal hinges with piano hinges, installed a magnet catch and and taped and mudded the frame in as well as remove the panels (HD doesn't stock flat doors, ordering is an extra $170). The goal is blend this into the wall a bit instead of a door calling you to look inside where you'd find the well pressure tank.

Attachments:
20211002_184750-resized-1024.jpg
20211002_184750-resized-1024.jpg [ 130.59 KiB | Viewed 3415 times ]
20211002_194648-resized-1024.jpg
20211002_194648-resized-1024.jpg [ 128.8 KiB | Viewed 3415 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:45 am 

Since the discussion on this page appears to be about anything, you say the title of your web site means "Which means "Evil Twin" ". Does it really mean "identical Twins"?

Lowell Brown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:57 am 

Lowell_Brown wrote:
Since the discussion on this page appears to be about anything, you say the title of your web site means "Which means "Evil Twin" ". Does it really mean "identical Twins"?

Lowell Brown

I do get distracted......sorry for that.

I do not speak a word of Italian but google says:

"What is an Italian twin?
The word for a twins in Italian is gemelli (masculine, singular: gemello; feminine, singular: gemella)"

Way back I ask an actual Italian, who told me "evil twin" doesn't really mean anything in Italian, that is not an expression they use but5 the correct way to say it would be gemello cattivo or "bad twin" but they have about 12 words for bad and this one is the cloestest to English evil in this context. Twin though, like in English doesn't necessarily mean identical twin so you'd have to say "gemelli identici" to have identical twins I guess. Cars are usually "she" so maybe I should have picked "gemella" for the badge? don't know... just thought it was funny and at a glace looks the say as the OEM "quattrovalvole".

I guess in a way its double funny because the reason I gave to justify the TR head swap was it would be wrong to put a 2V engine in the car with a quattrovalvole badge.....then I replaced the badge anyway.

Also in usual mke form the new surround sound system didn't even make it to the install without modification. This deal popped up
Attachment:
messages_0.png
messages_0.png [ 356.26 KiB | Viewed 3409 times ]

so that meant I also needed the matching center speaker.
Attachment:
messages_0 (1).png
messages_0 (1).png [ 857.34 KiB | Viewed 3409 times ]

....so I've now spent more on upgrades than I did on the whole system to start with. This also changes how the front cabinet needs to be done so that work is stopped while a new design awaits approval. It turns out is easy to make something that looks like a theater, its much harder to make something that IS a theater....compromises everywhere on this thing.

Last, the durarock90 is set this morning, but obviously still wet. I was still soft enough that I could removal anything with a scraper the next coat might not cover and as Kevin said didn't shrink which is nice. I'm basically out of materials to keep anything moving....today will be pick up and organize the storage room i guess.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am 

Lowell_Brown wrote:

Lowell Brown

Mark is suffering from "accomplishment dissociation" (See DSM V reference), in which he is as proud of things he does in order to get to the things he wants to do as he is of the things he wants to do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am 

mk e wrote:
all right, here's some durabond 90 slathered on...it seemed like the actual working time was about 1/2 90 they claim. I replaced the normal hinges with piano hinges, installed a magnet catch and and taped and mudded the frame in as well as remove the panels (HD doesn't stock flat doors, ordering is an extra $170). The goal is blend this into the wall a bit instead of a door calling you to look inside where you'd find the well pressure tank.

My water must be different? I find the opposite with the 90, seems to take well over two hours.

I feel much better seeing you turning a brand new panel door into a flat panel knowing I'm not the only crazy one. I wanted a red birch pantry door for my kitchen and couldn't find one so I bought a 6 panel solid wood door and took it to a place with a huge drum sander to have them remove 3/8" off the front which I replaced with red birch so the door would match my cabinets and bay window.

Attachments:
door2.jpg.jpg
door2.jpg.jpg [ 127.35 KiB | Viewed 3388 times ]
door1.jpg.jpg
door1.jpg.jpg [ 140.15 KiB | Viewed 3388 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:14 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Mark is suffering from "accomplishment dissociation" (See DSM V reference), in which he is as proud of things he does in order to get to the things he wants to do as he is of the things he wants to do.

And on that note I need to cut a few more holes in my drywall to run a few more wires as the theater is up to 12 speakers now....I'm pretty sure no good has ever come from reading, especially not technical articles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 220  Next