gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:09 pm 

Wow! :o My first car was a grey Volkswagen beetle from 1967. Ok, with the „big“ 1300 engine making 40hp.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:53 am 

Mehl wrote:
Wow! :o My first car was a grey Volkswagen beetle from 1967. Ok, with the „big“ 1300 engine making 40hp.

My 1st car was a 1966 austin healey 3000, $300 not running, lots of rust.....my first car that ran and drove was a 1972 super beetle, 1600cc iirc. I did get the healey driving before I left HS but it was the Laser 917 kit kit I traded my motorcycle for that was the talk of the school, kind of cool looking but slow and pretty dangerous. Then after HS a ratty '65 vette that was pretty fast and very dangerous.

The deal here is I will buy 1 and only 1 car so do not break it. Its also not new and not perfect so there are a few things he will need to address but it looks good and runs goods. It went straight front he dealer to the alignment shop so now it drives nice, it was horrible on the highway during the test drive and ride home, turned out the rear wheels were kind of pointed in random directions.....the previous owner took it off road causing about $22k in repairs, mostly to the suspension. The work order says it was aligned but clearly they just pocketed the money, it fact the right front caster/camber can't be aligned so that is on the sort it out list starting with a chat with the dealer...but probably ending with an aftermarket camber kit to make it adjustable. Its not terrible, the caster is just barely out and ignorable, the camber nominal is 1.5, 2.1 is the spec limit and that is where the left is, the right is 2.4. doesn't impact driving and is better for autoX, but helps explain the worn inside edges of the otherwise great front tires It's stuff like that that got it to a price seems better than we could do buying a cheaper auction car and repairing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:17 pm 

mk e wrote:
it was the Laser 917 kit kit I traded my motorcycle for that was the talk of the school, kind of cool looking but slow and pretty dangerous.

How have I never heard of these before? I'm sure that it was a nightmare to live with, but that is super sick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:13 am 

Update time.
The brake pads never arrived. The Last week I called/emailed a couple times and they sent a refund saying there was a production issue and it will be 10-12 weeks before the pads are available and they will email to let me know. They were the cheapest place and since the car doesn't run I've not tried ordering elsewhere.

I emailed the head gasket guy who I'd not heard from since Feb and after a couple days got a response asking for a little additional info. Wade says the normal process is answer all questions then wait a lot of days in silence for the call saying the gaskets are ready followed by happiness that the heads are sealed. So the wait continues.

Shame on me because I still haven't sent the trans adapter shaft out for heat treat or finished the shims much less install them nor put the side mirrors back together.....just plain lazy.

I did make the 2.5-3 hour drive down to the MD toyota dealer a couple times to have a few things on the supra sorted. They were able to fix the right front camber issue by replacing the strut and steering knuckle costing me $1000 (they covered the $900 labor). Today its getting 4 new tires because the 2 fronts that looked great are missing the inside edges and the 2 new rears of a brand I didn't recognize are Amazon specials so another $1500 gone and since these are the OEM Michelin pilot super sports that are un usable below 32F, another 1000-1200 come October for something that work in the cold. Now its not like they would have moved any more on price had i noticed any of this ahead of time but its still annoying. My son is not quite 17 in actual years, I think we're at about 28 in birthday present years.

Then the honey-do. I finally built a patio by the basement doors. I'm told garden boxes up this weekend......

Attachments:
patio.jpg
patio.jpg [ 418.52 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:48 am 

Murrays a good guy, restoring what will probably be the best 365 boxer in the world when he done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:47 am 

islerodreaming wrote:
Murrays a good guy, restoring what will probably be the best 365 boxer in the world when he done.

I do have a lot of hope, so much so I've dared to start thinking about buying new tires. New tires on the supra meant I instantly heard about an autoX near by in May.....which sounds a lot like a challenge in the works. I'm thinking the only option is a set of 200 wear DOT race tires because there is no way I can lose to my child's toyota :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221