gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Water Pump Testing?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:23 pm 

Crazy thought, how about two oil cooler fans mounted horizontal to pull the air out from the engine bay? Up in the front either side of the oil filter housing, temporary wiring with a switch so you can control the on/off and see if it works at idle and low speed. More coolant can help but at a certain point heat soak will win out if there is not enough of an air exchange.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:26 am 

Madhatter wrote:
Crazy thought, how about two oil cooler fans mounted horizontal to pull the air out from the engine bay? Up in the front either side of the oil filter housing, temporary wiring with a switch so you can control the on/off and see if it works at idle and low speed. More coolant can help but at a certain point heat soak will win out if there is not enough of an air exchange.

Had thought about doing something like that, using the 550's "gills" on either side, but the idea died on the vine. Might have to revisit that thought...... But the gills are mounted down low, and getting the hot air out, from the high side would be better.

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting mounting the fans onto the under cover, where they're either pushing (or pulling) air out under the car (fans mounted horizontally, but with vertical air flow?).

Had even considered putting hood louvers in, as another FChat buddy did on his 550 but am nervous about "ruining" a very expensive 550 hood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 am 

hmmm, forgot about the gills, they sit pretty far aft and might be helpful for getting latent heat from the exhaust out. My thought was simply getting the airflow from the radiators out as opposed to filling the engine bay then leaking out. All the under-body panels tend to trap in the heat via restrictive air flow. If you think about it the engine bay is practically a dead zone, air will not flow into a high pressure dead zone, once at speed the pressure drops or the pressure in front of the vehicle is greater then the pressure in the engine bay. It's been awhile since I've been under the hood of the 550/575 so I don't recall all the details, but look at the layout and try and trace where the airflow is going and the surface area the air can exit via. If your willing to measure out the open spaces i.e. the 2d openings it's a couple of calcs to do a Cd (coefficient of discharge) and get an idea if that's where the problem really is. I can help you with that if you want. I'm assuming you've done the fan calcs over the last couple yrs, seem to recall a thread on f-life about the cooling issue, so with the fans best case CFM flow and est of open surface area for flow it's possible to look at weather or not the air can effectively move.

The 550/575 are more German marque in nature, 10lbs stuffed into a 5lb bag. It's like my wife's new diesel jetta, open the hood and there is ZERO space, ZERO. On any day over 75* the fans run for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time after being parked to keep the engine from going into thermal nuclear meltdown I assume, heck there isn't even a temp gauge anymore! just a light that pops on if it gets to hot and then the engine cuts off.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:41 pm 

There are proper oEM Electric waterpums.

Pressure curves and all. Google pierburg cwa200 Therese is also a pierburg cwa400.

Use The one you like. Problem solved.

The pull quite a lotta of current.

Typing on a Phone. .