gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:41 pm 

I saw this video today and found it mega interesting - thought you might like it:

Prepreg carbon and low melting temp metal patterns

It seems a bit convoluted vs other approaches, but I'm sure it has its place. Pretty interesting in any case.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:07 am 

Mehl wrote:
One day late but:
Happy Birthday again!

Thanks....another year WITHOUT MY CAR! :o

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:09 am 

Syscrush wrote:
I saw this video today and found it mega interesting - thought you might like it:

Prepreg carbon and low melting temp metal patterns

It seems a bit convoluted vs other approaches, but I'm sure it has its place. Pretty interesting in any case.

They do have some cool stuff.....it all looked quite expensive but made really nice parts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:41 pm 

For me, the big question is if there's a 3D printable material that could work in the place of these special alloys. It seems like a bit much to print or machine a part, then use that to make a mold, use THAT to cast a part, then go through the whole CF process.

The result of this process should be parts with almost any shape that can be made incredibly light, though, which for sure has its applications.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:40 pm 

Happy Birthday again!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:18 am 

Syscrush wrote:
For me, the big question is if there's a 3D printable material that could work in the place of these special alloys. It seems like a bit much to print or machine a part, then use that to make a mold, use THAT to cast a part, then go through the whole CF process.

The result of this process should be parts with almost any shape that can be made incredibly light, though, which for sure has its applications.

Thinking through this farther - with a melting point of 95C, it seems like you could directly 3D print your molds with something like PA-CF to save some steps...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:52 am 

Syscrush wrote:
Syscrush wrote:

Thinking through this farther - with a melting point of 95C, it seems like you could directly 3D print your molds with something like PA-CF to save some steps...

There are water soluble filaments often used as support material....but one-offs of anything are kind of a pain in the butt ansd one-off supper cool strong light CF parts are a triple pain in the butt hence their cost. :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:27 am 

Still working on a new door install but son is still asking to help with the car so we went out to the shop and did stuff. We popped the filter out of housing #2 and removed most of the foam. Still a lot to do but its a start.

We also put some 90 minute mud on air duct #1. The original plan to use green foam and dissolve it out died when I added the spray foam so I figured no harm in using the cheap easy mud path to smooth it out. Once its decent I'll cover it with plastic wrap to keep the green foam safe from polyester resin and glass it. Then since its not structural I'll just cut it open to remove the plug, feather the edges a bit and glue and glass it back together, a little filler and satin black paint and it will look factory enough.

Attachments:
20230615.jpg
20230615.jpg [ 190.67 KiB | Viewed 2001 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:07 am 

Very cool. Does your son enjoy the fiberglass stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:36 pm 

Syscrush wrote:
Very cool. Does your son enjoy the fiberglass stuff?

Well....its new to him so he's interested in what can be done and how. He spent a few hours today on the air duct..it was a bit bulbus in the middle so I've been pointing and he's been sanding. We ended by putting on another coat of 90 min mud so tomorrow when I'm at work we'll sand it smooth and when I get home we'll talk next steps. We bought some resin and mat today too, so when its ready we're ready....I'm guessing it will be a fiberglass duct by the weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 221  Next