gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 am 

kens wrote:
Newish tires or not? I know from direct experience how fast tires timeout on a project. Plus, if new sticky tires were in place, they did not have time to warm up. In addition, sticky tires by definition don't work year round.

They are 20 year old summer tires that are well past expiration so yeah, I assume new fresh tires will make a world of difference. but as you say that is on warm summer roads. suspect new tires on cold morning roads won't feel a lot better than what I have now and traction control will be my friend

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:05 am 

Wow, it's very cool to finally see it moving under it's own power! It must be very satisfying to finally get to take it around the block even if there's some more work to sort out.

For the brakes, is there anyway to swap in a smaller diameter master cylinder? That might give you a bit more travel/less effort while retaining the overall braking power.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:16 am 

tinkwithanr wrote:
Wow, it's very cool to finally see it moving under it's own power! It must be very satisfying to finally get to take it around the block even if there's some more work to sort out.

For the brakes, is there anyway to swap in a smaller diameter master cylinder? That might give you a bit more travel/less effort while retaining the overall braking power.

Thanks and welcome

I think I already have about the smallest masters...5/8" bore if I recall? I'd need to look but I remember spending a ton of time worrying about it however many years ago I built the setup. The firmness is I think the braided SS lines, I remember a similar feeling when I raced motorcycles and ran braided lines. The force seems ok, just more than it was and more than most people are used to these days so definitely something that would need a word of caution to anyone who drives it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:21 pm 

mk e wrote:
I'll admit I'm not that worldly but I've never driven anything like this. I made all kinds of simulation graphs over the years, looking this or that but I truly was not prepared mentally for what 300ft-lbs of torque at idle means exactly. I kind of understood form the 200ft-lbs at idle engine which is why I flipped the drop gears but it never occurred to me really that 1st gear would still be or questionable value or that the idea I had way back about adding traction control isn't exactly optional. Jesus this thing is fast.....

The Northstar Fiero would accelerate uphill from 1000 RPM @ 30mph in 5th gear... And I think that was only ~260 RWTQ off idle. A Cadillac is obvi tuned very differently than a Ferrari!

mk e wrote:
You might not have noticed as I back out of the driveway and pull away just how effortless the steering is. Amazing upgrade and I don't think I could go back to the wrestling the steering wheel days.

I did notice that it seemed very easy to steer. I forgot you'd installed power steering.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm 

This is good power to weight ratio. Proper widow maker, traction control is a great idea. Then again, nothing more exhilarating than driving without helpers (until it goes wrong)!
Congratulations again, let’s see how much power you‘ll get out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:24 am 

drhex wrote:
This is good power to weight ratio. Proper widow maker, traction control is a great idea. Then again, nothing more exhilarating than driving without helpers (until it goes wrong)!

Years ago I built a high power midengine car that was basically undrivable
Attachment:
File0008.jpg
File0008.jpg [ 45.03 KiB | Viewed 1762 times ]

And promise I'd never make that mistake again. but it seems I've made all new mistakes and built a NEARLY undrivable midengine car :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:35 pm 

so 12 still tests no compression but interestingly the plug has gone from white to black similar to the rest (its pretty rich) and the sound has changed...it made no or very little sound before during the compression test and now I can hear a difference between 12 and any other. I think its sealant and I should run it more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:06 pm 

mk e wrote:
drhex wrote:

Years ago I built a high power midengine car that was basically undrivable
Attachment:
File0008.jpg

And promise I'd never make that mistake again. but it seems I've made all new mistakes and built a NEARLY undrivable midengine car :lol:

That was a longitudinal TH425 in a Fiat, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:19 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Yes? Don't know the model, it was an old Eldorado, 70? Its been a long time

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:23 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Yes? Don't know the model, it was an old Eldorado, 70? Its been a long time

Yeah, some people swap those into Fieros as well. That powertrain puts half the mass of the engine and almost the entire mass of the transmission behind the axle... in a tiny tin can like that Fiat, it probably wouldn't even think about keeping the front wheels on the ground.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 221  Next