gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: New Type 4 VW build
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:09 pm 

Well...new a stronger clutch to handle the hp is not the worst news you could get :D

Lana has pushed me to do buy me coffee of one of those she sees on her youtube stuff....its hard to explain that car guys on a forum have their own cars to buy parts for so asking on youtube with daily videos is just different.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:12 am 

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:22 am 

They will never understand. :?

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:10 am 

I was able to get Stage One clutch and it is really nice. Changed the pedal feel a bit, but the other was so light, this one is just fine.
Pulls really hard starting at 3000 rpm, it drives great under 3000, but the tone changes and it just charges ahead after 3000. I need to change the header configuration into 4-2-1 instead of a dual dual 2-1 twin set up. I need to add a balance hose between the intake manifolds to help balance that end. I am sure the twin 34mm carbs are keeping the power down some but it is hard to be unhappy with how well it idles and responds. Sounds good and I have had it up to 6200 rpm with no issues. What fun I am having. Now I need to finish plumbing the heated hoses on the 69 C10 and put a belt on the compressor and we will have heat and AC. Then it is on the the 74 Camaro and get that running.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:27 am 

It sound like its doing everything you wanted it to do, that's got to be a great feeling!

The carb size it the age old thing....small and drives nice or bigger hp and less street manners....what to do?

Are you thinking the exhaust change will boost midrange?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:56 am 

Yes, as I am told by a couple of very experienced Type 4 engine builders. The split exhaust is killing the bottom end. Looks great, love the sound, but below 3000 it is night and day. It pulls away from a stop really well, it will pull a hill easily but if I can make it better, I am going to try. 8-)

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm 

Is that something you just buy or something you need to design and build? If I'm remembering right the header wants to pair the 2 fronts and 2 rears but most setup take the easy way and are right/left pairings just like your carb setup. So what's the plan?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:23 am 

I have to build it. You are correct in the pairing. Both front cylinders 2 into 1, then those 2 into 1, then the pipe and muffler. I am not sure the layout yet, I need to look it over again. I am also told I need a balance tube of some kind between my intakes. I will need to do that too.
Over all I am really happy with it. I found the shifter (cheap china thing) broke the guide/lockout pin. I now have to carefully find first gear and second can grind reverse if you are not careful. I don't do any kind of drag starts and speed shifting is not gonna happen so it really isn't a drive time killer. I just want to be able to find the gears easily and have a reverse lock out. Scat has a Drag Fast shifter that is really nice, about $120, so that is the next piece when the budget allows. I may have enough tubing to do the exhaust but that is a winter project.

On a side note. The wife 69 C10 pick up now has AC and that is a plus. The fuel injection is still not spot on but I am getting it better. I think the 1982 Camaro Z28 305 engine may be a little tired as well and the injection is trying to run a strong engine, not an old engine. Finding the target AFR has been a challenge. I now have self learning off and I am just watching the AFR on the small screen and making adjustments to the base fuel table in what ever area is not happy. So far that has helped a lot. I need the wife to drive while I lap top tune. It is kind hard to do both.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8