gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4L build
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:31 pm 

Oh yeah! though at the same time he wants to refurb the engine bay as the engine is so nice this time around. So we've go the bodyshop guy coming by to strip and repaint the frame and some other cosmetic things. Steam cleaned the chassis the other day too! Ran new silicone heater hose to the front as well.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:02 pm 

ahh...the beloved scope creep :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:28 pm 

Engine dropped in, dry sump parts also squeezed in :shock: seriously I really thought I'd have more trouble with getting a Tank, oil/air separator, radiator and filter assy all in the engine bay and still be able to fit the stock water tank. Then again if Mark can shoehorn in a freaking V12! :o :o then I should have no trouble with this little project...

Pic showing the engine bay, had to adjust the filter lens as all the black makes it hard to see under sodium lamps. The back firewall was re-done in wrinkle black, it actually turned out very nice and hides a bunch of the crappy weld work and factory blemish of the era. After steam cleaning the frame and engine bay there was a shocking amount of weld splatter and weld rod left over from the factory.

Oh and scope creep... lets see ended up stripping out the entire rear suspension and arms, even though new bushing etc were done ~10yrs but only a couple hundred miles ago. Passenger side hub carrier was cracked on the mounting tab for the lower shock mount due to the mechanic all those yrs ago over tightening on the mount after using a too short bushing... Driver side spindle bearing is toast, the result of dyno operators over enthusiastically strapping the chassis down on the rollers, it's a real pet peeve of mine, can not stand it when they want to wrench it down and it flattens out the tire, straps are to hold the vehicle from going forward that's it! gravity does the rest.

In doing some digging for parts stumbled across this...
http://www.terrybosnjakengineering.com.au/#!blank/b75vl
absolutely beautiful work, unfortunately he wants $3,300 ea. :shock:

If there is time I'll engineer out the part and see what our machinist can do.

Attachments:
4L in bay.jpg
4L in bay.jpg [ 585.47 KiB | Viewed 19842 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:13 am 

Quick update on this project.. .awaiting the headers... header mfg went off to PIR so it'll be a couple more weeks.. :(
Snowing up in WA now so I went home where it's sunny and warm on the beach ... :lol: :D

Used the iceengine works lego kit.. really neat and fast, well fast is relative.. took me a couple hrs to flesh out the layout per bank.

Without further ado I give you Bananas!

Attachments:
File comment: I call them Bananas!
bannanas.jpg
bannanas.jpg [ 306.2 KiB | Viewed 19717 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:59 am 

I still like noodles on welding rod for the 1st past at design but there is not arguing that the legos make it go from design to build WAY faster......for big budget operations that can afford them anyway ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm 

Headers are back and fit!!! Now it's fabbing the 3" pipes to the muffler section.

In other news the fancy money trumpets don't let the decklid shut/open so I designed a new set for driving around etc.. they are the next shorter harmonic and don't look to bad. I'll be getting them 3D printed.. the cost is so far below the cost of machining it's ridiculous. Since they can be 3D printed I added some flair :D

Looks like I'll have to update the shorty trumpet pic to show the flair... sorry guys give me a couple hrs to get stuff done..

Attachments:
shorty trumpets.png
shorty trumpets.png [ 738.21 KiB | Viewed 19437 times ]
merge.jpg
merge.jpg [ 200.44 KiB | Viewed 19437 times ]
58 bank.jpg
58 bank.jpg [ 171.35 KiB | Viewed 19437 times ]
14 bank.jpg
14 bank.jpg [ 168.69 KiB | Viewed 19437 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:05 pm 

Nice looking headers...way too short but nice ;)

I like the stacks too. I need to do something with mine, I can't find one of the ducati stacks after the fire clean up and Ican't really tun anyhting without stacks of some sort on it.

What are you having them printed from?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 pm 

mk e wrote:
Nice looking headers...way too short but nice ;)

I like the stacks too. I need to do something with mine, I can't find one of the ducati stacks after the fire clean up and Ican't really tun anyhting without stacks of some sort on it.

What are you having them printed from?

For the smaller stuff I have shapeways print them, a number of material choices there. Then there is Stratasys for the really neat but very expensive materials.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:05 pm 

Madhatter wrote:
Then there is Stratasys for the really neat but very expensive materials.

We do materials development at work (medical grade stuff) and are working with Stratasys, we'll be installing one of there machines in a couple months.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:57 pm 

mk e wrote:
Madhatter wrote:
Then there is Stratasys for the really neat but very expensive materials.

We do materials development at work (medical grade stuff) and are working with Stratasys, we'll be installing one of there machines in a couple months.

Once you go down the road of AM or 3D printing the design possibilities are only restricted by the materials and printing process. It's a whole new level of design and development. I think a lot of the old guard is going to struggle with it, design has been till recently restricted by loss machining capabilities, now we can build and print akin to how it's designed in the 3D software. I hope that material science keeps pushing this forward, AM is really the way to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next