gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:43 pm 

11-15-2007
yes I do......I read through the goldman book yesterday for the first time, he modified almost every major part in some way. I'm going to spend a little time and see if the process can't be made just a little simpler.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:43 pm 

11-15-2007
I had it built special. We picked a lot that would allow a walk-out basement and grading that would be Ferrari friendly, then I had them install a 7' french door instead of the standard 6' slider and 9 foot ceiling instead of 8. So now it looks like all the other houses in the development, but I can drive a car in and have the height to pull engines.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:44 pm 

11-16-2007
I moved the engine around a bit and did some measuring last night and it looked good. There is no question the engine will fit in the engine bay with either the stock head or the TR heads. For the stock heads to be used, to be used the early carb cam covers and a custom intake would be required, that will be the fall back plan if the TR head retro fit runs into a brick wall for some reason.

My next plan for the night was to pull the heads off, which was much easier said than done. Those suckers are stuck! It looks like there will be a 1 to 2 day delay while I build some kind of puller to rip them off before I get to see what I'm up against with the TR heads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:45 pm 

11-16-2007
I'm still working on getting the freakin heads off the block I started building a puller set-up tonight, I'll post some pics if I get something that works.

I thought this was picture worthy though. This was a brand new engine stand, but the engine has drooped to about a 15 degree angle with all my banging around trying to get the heads loose. I guess "they just don't make them like they used to" applies here.

Attachments:
153 2 400 engine 001.jpg
153 2 400 engine 001.jpg [ 91.54 KiB | Viewed 23930 times ]
153 1 400 engine 002.jpg
153 1 400 engine 002.jpg [ 75.6 KiB | Viewed 23930 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:46 pm 

11-16-2007
Tuning is a good thing no doubt. I'm not sure yet what I'll be able to do for length, I want to get the head on the engine before I try to layout the intake. I may be able to cross the runners and get a little more length. The design of the air box on top can contribute significantly too, it's call the helmolz resonance.....more to think about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:03 am 

11-17-2007
It was all straight before I started trying to be the heads off. I will definitely do something else before I start putting anything back together.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:05 am 

11-17-2007
OK, the stuck heads have been dealt with, so back to the regularly scheduled programming. I posted that adventure in the 400 section if anyone is interested.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...#post137233239

Now, it turns out the TR heads are a perfect fit on the 400 block except for the heads studs, the oil feed, the oil returns, the cam drive and possible some of the water passages……I need to do a little thinking to decide just how pig-headed I’m prepared to be with these heads.

The top row os studs is right. The end studs look like a 1mm mis-fit, but that I could fix by opening up the holes in the heads, I’m sure there is enough metal to not have any problem.

The real problem is the bottom row of studs is off 2mm by the look of it. There isn’t an extra 2mm in the head to move the holes I don’t think and I’m not willing to try and find out. There is material in the block, so I could plug the existing holes and punch a new hole where I want it. The other option the comes to mind is to make 1mm eccentric studs then open the holes in the head 1mm. That would solve the problem with the end studs too, but eccentric studs would need to be positioned in the correct orientation them pinned or set-screwed to keep them there.

I need to finish the disassembly on the block and see if the pressure oil feeds are fixable with major problems….it might be as simple as re-drilling and plugging the old holes.

I need to think about this

Attachments:
159 3 400 engine 010.jpg
159 3 400 engine 010.jpg [ 89.47 KiB | Viewed 23930 times ]
159 2 400 engine 001.jpg
159 2 400 engine 001.jpg [ 88.99 KiB | Viewed 23930 times ]
159 1 400 engine 004.jpg
159 1 400 engine 004.jpg [ 93.63 KiB | Viewed 23930 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:08 am 

11-17-2007
....at least 1

Down sizing is not a good idea generally. It MIGHT be possible to find something to match the strength, but it would almost certainly not be possible to match the elasticity. Steel, regardless of the alloy or hardness has a modulus of elasticity of 30 Mpsi. A bolt can be thought of as a very stiff spring, using a smaller diameter means less cross-sectional area and that essentially means you’ve installed a much softer spring to hold the head down. If the tensile strength is high enough, you could generate an equal clamping force cold or hot, but not both because you have a much softer spring.

Upon reflection I think the best of the bad options is to plug the holes to about ¼” –3/8” of the deck with threaded aluminum plugs, then weld the last bit solid so they can’t ever turn. Then simply re-drill the holes in the correct position and re-install the OEM studs. So that’s the plan provided I can find a solution to the pressure oil feed location problem.

The timing chain problem looks like the solution is to do a little welding on the end of the TR head and machine it to look like a 400 head. The 400 timing sprockets look like they need a new center welded in to match the TR cams, but there might be room for a simple adapter….eventually something has to be easy….right????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:08 am 

11-17-2007
I drilled and tapped the aluminum puller plates. The Puller plates bolt to the top of the head using the cam and cam cover studs, then the new studs thread down and hit the tops of the head studs in the block. You crank on the puller studs and it pushes the pushes the head studs out of the head and the head pops right off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:09 am 

11-17-2007
I didn't have a big plate to use laying around and buying 1 is expensive....then I got thinking about it and figured for this application a single big plate really wasn't any stronger than a series of small plates which were easier to make and handle any way. Odds were there was no need to hit all the studs so I just made 3 to start with and on the 400 head, by going every other stud pair there was a common bolt pattern on both heads so 3 identical plates is all that was needed. It worked out good, there were 4 or 5 corroded studs on both heads but they popped right off.

On my QV, once I got the heads off (not smart enough back then to make a puller), I opened up the holes about .030" so they can never ever stick again. and just to be sure I put a little permatex aviation sealer around the base of the studs to keep water out and never-sieze on the studs. 7 years later when I torn it down they fell right off. I'll most likely take the same approach with this engine.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next