gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:09 pm 

10-22-2007
Hans,
I'm thinking basically the same thing. I want an Idle Air Control (I guess and airplane would have no need for one of those), so I'm going to try mounting an IAC to a small plenum large enough to connect 12 hoses and may make it a little bigger and connect the map and power brake lines to it as well… I need to think about that a bit.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:10 pm 

10-22-2007
This weekend I tried to layout the intake manifold....and realized it's been 5 or 6 years since I even opened my CAD software and I have no idea what I'm doing…..I s*ck at remembering how to work software. I did the oil pan mount last week with no problem, just a plate with some holes in it, easy. The intake was going fine too until I got to the point where I had to make a runner with a circle on 1 end and an oval on the other blended nice and smooth all on a 60 degree angle.....I guess I'll be going thru the tutorial over the next couple nights

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:11 pm 

10-23-2007
I figured out how to get the software to play nice....stupid round on the top, oval on the bottom, 60 degree and tapered runners....

Attachments:
74 1 TR manifold 1.JPG
74 1 TR manifold 1.JPG [ 23.62 KiB | Viewed 33504 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm 

10-24-2007
Good question.

It’s a shape that really wants to be cast. I’m going to price it out and see, but I suspect that to make just 2 castings will be cost prohibitive.

Trying to machine it would be a bugger because. Although is doesn’t show well in the pic, the runners are at a 60 degree angle to the engine flange, the TB mount centerline is offset from the main runner, and the runners go from round at the TB mount to an oval at the head, all adding up to areas that would need at least a 4 axis machine and a bunch of tooling/set-ups to be able to make it....and why it took me a couple days to figure out how to get the CAD software to even draw it.

So, what I’ll almost certainly do is make the engine flange and runners separate then weld them together. That makes the engine flange a simple machined plate and would let me make the runners on the lathe, then press the engine end into an oval and weld them on. 30 minutes with the die grinder later and you’ll never know it was even more than 1 piece. I can do all this in my shop at home on the manual machines I have, no CNC time required. This is the way I made the supercharger intake for the QV engine.

For this same intake for a QV, I’d CNC machine it from billet because the port are square to the mounting flange so it can be made with no special tooling on a 3 axis machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm 

10-24-2007
I wish you lived closer too because help is always welcome....there's sure plenty to do!

I'm a big believer that as talented as any 1 person might be, a project will just plain come out better and with fewer mistakes when more than 1 person is looking at it. I don’t always take the good advice I’m given (like 246tasman telling me to quite screwing around with the TR heads and use the ones that fit!), but I think it’s good to take a 2nd or 3rd look at how or even why each piece or decision is made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:13 pm 

10-24-2007
Header flange drawn. Check.

Attachments:
79 1 TR Exhaust Flange.jpg
79 1 TR Exhaust Flange.jpg [ 17.01 KiB | Viewed 33504 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:14 pm 

10-25-2007
The TBs are suzuki gsx1300r hayabusa. They have a 46mm bore, but 48mm thottle plates are available aftermarket, so you could open them up at least that far.

For about $200 you get a set of 4 including the fuel injectors and a TPS.

The bore space on them is too small for any automotive aplication, but the TBs are just bolted together, so it pretty easy to correct. To alter the spacing, threaded rod and spacers get the TBs in the right spot, you need new loger fuel tubes and then a spacer/extender on the throttle linkage.

My DRO is mitutoyo parts and a mount I made.

My supercharged QV was putting out over 350 ft-lbs at the wheels, probably 420ish at the crank and I'm thinking this engine is going to just about equal that number if all goes as planned. I didn't know the 328 had another bearing, I did notice the aftermarket drop gear kits had an extra outer bearing. I guess I should take a good long look at add one or some other support for the shaft.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:15 pm 

10-25-2007
Thanks for the push...I fired it out to a couple shops for quote. I think as a casting it would be better to split it in 1/2, they come out simetric, so just one 3-cylinder pattern to make....I guess I could even make the pattern, I've made molds I'd think a patter would be easier and my software will do shrinkage and draft. We'll see.

If you need a good CAD guy, I know one. Let me know if you want the contact info.

another thought, ferrari didn't change much between models..... any chance a QV head with the end whacked off would fit?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:16 pm 

10-25-2007
Here's the intake split to make casting easier....I wish making stuff was as quick as the solid model, this project would be nearly done

Attachments:
84 1 Tr intake split.JPG
84 1 Tr intake split.JPG [ 35.42 KiB | Viewed 33504 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:17 pm 

10-26-2007
I've got 07, but haven't installed it yet. I figured I'd get back up to speed with my simpler 98 first. I just got a ProE station at work to 've got to get familiar with too....me and software tend not to get on well.......

I'm definitely thinking sand cast, I can't see ever making enough of these to pay for tooling for any other method.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next