gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:36 pm 

1-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Like it was designed by Enzo himself...

Maybe if you try to add some of your in-law's Wodka to the little one's milk, the naps will be XXXX-long, leaving you more time for this project?

Oh man, I am so glad Lana NEVER looks at f-chat. You guys would have me in SOOOO much trouble......

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:37 pm 

1-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Maybe you'll have to do BOTH: keep the old tanks AND put one in the front. At your aim of 600 hp, it will not exactly sip fuel.....

I figure 15 to maybe 20 minutes at full throttle and the tanks will be dry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 pm 

1-29-2008
Yeah, I want this to look stock even to a trainer observer.

It was a popular mod on the old Triumph motorcycles because the intake ports were way too small and the exhaust ports way too big. The solution was to mount the head on the engine backwards.

I had that thought for the 400 heads to get the intakes into the V by mounting the heads backwards, but decided it wouldn't help and it would cause a lot of problems. Most any head designed in the last 30 years has intake ports that are higher and straighter than the exhaust ports. The intake valves are much bigger than the exhaust valves and there's not enough metal to open up the exhaust valves to an appropriate size. The intake ports don’t normally have adequate cooling to deal with the heat of the exhaust flow. Problems like that.

If an F1 car is doing it (I think there was an old Ferrari that did it too) they would have a casting designed for it. They most likely also figure that the aerodynamic packaging is improved enough to compensate for reduced hp flowing up hill into the cylinder would cause.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 pm 

1-29-2008
Like a Vee drive? I hadn't thought of it, but I guess in theory it's possible. The TR trans kind of does that, I suppose you could put a v engine on that if you wanted…or just use the TR engine and save having to do any custom work except a little frame clean-up to get it in.

I don’t really have any preference for which way the engine gets mounted. It’s easier to make the frame strong I think with a longitudinal mount, and in the case of the 12 cylinder, easier to sit the engine low in the chassis but thoughs are the only things that come to mind. Transverse should be better for acceleration as the reaction loads to the engine torque distribute the load evenly to both rear tires and traction out of a right hand turn is the same as a left hand for the same reason. I think it’s all about packaging.

Don’t worry about the other question, the average person doesn’t get any part of it right and I have no idea how long it was told before it came to me and got the south pole part added to the answer. It’s any thing but obvious and you're the only one that even tried.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:39 pm 

1-29-2008
The good news is the passenger side looks pretty good and there should be 1/2" clearance to the frame when it's all done.

The drivers side....well it is a tad tight to the gas tank. I think it will go will a little bit of work on the bell housing that I was planning to do anyway....if not as Hans pointed out 15 minutes of gas is probably way too much anyway so no harm reworking the tank for the required clearance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:39 pm 

1-30-2008
Lana always had a plan for 2, but I'm pretty sure one has cured her of that. We love him, but the Chinese have it right, one is enough. Now we just need to get the rest of the world on board and there will not only be time for the Ferrari but there will still be gas available when I finally finish the thing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:41 pm 

1-30-2008
Don't be like that man......he actually just graduated to jail this past weekend. Not quite walking yet, but crawling surprisingly fast, standing and walking while holding the wall, sofa and such then falling and screaming.....and clearly understanding "NO" only means "NO" if you are within arms length of him. Lana came home Saturday with a big playpen to lock him up in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:42 pm 

1-30-2008
The picture doesn't show it that well, it's really hard to take a picture the shows what you can see looking at it, something always seems to be lost.

I think I'm OK with the water/oil pump. It clears the gas tank by over an inch. I was a little concerned about frame clearance for the oil pan, but I think I'm ok there too. On the stock 400 pan there is about a 1/4" step up right behind the flange and if I build mine the same way I get about 1/2 clearance to the frame.

What's been going through my mind is actually sliding the engine another 1/2" to the right to make more room for the bell housing. I still have to add flanges on both ends or the rails I just made, so a small shift wouldn't add any work I don't think. I'll have a look at the tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:42 pm 

1-30-2008
Yes the pan need to be different. With the extra length the oil starvation issue should get much worse so I will be converting to a dry sump.

In frame clearance problem area the only purpose a step in the pan could serve is to trap a little oil near the chain, and I would still need that so just copying or even slightly increasing the step should be a good thing....I think.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:44 pm 

1-30-2008
Interestedbystander wrote:
Mark,
Please note that subsequent children also often turn out well.

Dad

I knew Lana would never read this, I forgot you were following it.

I don't know how you dealt with 5 of us, Lana and I are having trouble with 1. Lana labeled last week the 2nd worst week of her life, right behind the 1st week home from the hospital with Victor when we were up constantly and both had horrible colds. .......we miss grandma SOOOO much.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next