gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:29 am 

First of all, thanks to this forum I bought myself an AEM Infinity in hopes of greatness.

So far I am waiting on the ECU and reading EngineLab and AEM documentation. I am slightly confused about which O2 sensor should be used - Bosch 4.2 or Bosch 4.9.

This is the conflicting information:
  1. EngineLab explicitly states that EL129 is designed with Bosch 4.9 in mind.
  2. AEM states that only Bosch 4.2 is supported.
  3. Finally, the CJ125 chip used by EL129 supports *both* sensors.

So which one is it? Would love to get a definite response.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:22 am 

Welcome!

Which sensor depends on what code you're running because as you noticed the chip/hw itself handles both.

AEM uses 4.2. They have used them forever and I guess have never wanted to obsolete any of there products. The guys at AEM my have another reason but everything I've read is bosch moved to the 4.9 design with an external fresh air port because the 4.2 with its internal air port was prone to drift as the fresh air became contaninated with exhaust so biosch considers the 4.2 inferior to the 4.9.

Enginelab uses 4.9....sort of. I say sort of because the last I knew they didn't have sensor calibration info available yet. My plan is to get up and running with the 2 innovative O2 setups I have feeding the signal in on an analog input. Then I want to swapt 1 to the internal controler and calibrate it to match the innovative.....not as good as a proper test chamber with certified gasses but I think plenty good enough.....and I will certainly share whatever I come up with....but first I need a running engine and enginelab may release something first.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:30 pm 

Oh, I see. So its just a matter of using CJ125 V2 channel with the right settings? Awesome!

Will look at AEM models to see what settings they use :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:21 pm 

soviet wrote:

With aem Its a table that is not visible to the user......but it should be visible if you open the aem file in el console......but it will be cal and setup data for a 4.2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:06 am 

mk e wrote:
soviet wrote:

With aem Its a table that is not visible to the user......but it should be visible if you open the aem file in el console......but it will be cal and setup data for a 4.2

I opened the AEM map, and the CJ125 channel is not listed in EL Console. In fact, several channels were not listed in EL Console.
However I could see it in yEd by opening the *.graphml file.

Looks like this:
Attachment:
CJ125.PNG
CJ125.PNG [ 20.7 KiB | Viewed 22660 times ]

i0 and i1 look like flags for reading/writing
i2-6 I'm not sure about

Then the CJ125 outputs are
"AN_UEGO_X_UR_In [n]" and "AN_UEGO_X_UA_In [n]"

Interestingly AEM uses CJ125 while EL Console has CJ125v2. Could one be for 4.2 and other for 4.9? Not sure!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:26 am 

And here is how AEM uses CJ125 outputs

The UA output looks like lambda - displayed here with AEM calibration for 4.2
Attachment:
4.2_lambda.PNG
4.2_lambda.PNG [ 17.65 KiB | Viewed 22660 times ]

The UR output looks like the sensor temperature - used here for warmup PID controller
Attachment:
4.2_temperature.PNG
4.2_temperature.PNG [ 19.2 KiB | Viewed 22660 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:21 am 

Look at you go :)

I can ask Jim about the Cj125 vs CJ125v2......but I suspect its just the current HW specs vs older specs. I have a very low serial number AEM (#239) with the EL firmware and was talking to Jim about testing the 4.9 for him so I'm pretty sure there is no actual HW difference between AEM and EL and its just which FW you're running FW I think....but FW is serial number specific so that is where the cj125 or cj125v2 would be sorted out I assume like a few other things are.

Do you have an engine you are installing the ECU on?
Is it an AEM you've bought then?
Have you had your serial number added to the EL list so their FW will load on your ECU?
Is you plan to run custom code/model or just try to edit AEM stuff?

Just interested in how much help I'll be getting from you :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:33 pm 

Yeah I've been furiously searching for documentation.

ECU is still on a UPS truck. Its an AEM 30-7110 (application specific Infinity 8). Bought it because it was on a black friday sale for $1650.

I'm hoping that the application-specific part doesn't prevent me from using it my car, which is a turbo Miata. I was on Megasquirt before and wanted something different.

Anyways, found this page - http://pi-innovo.com/lambda-measurement ... d-lsu-4-9/ about LSU 4.9 strategy and it breaks down pretty well

1. UA and UR are analog outputs
  2. CJ125 also has digital outputs
  3. Temperature control logic needs to be implemented

Another page, describing some of the same - http://wiki.efihacks.com/index.php?titl ... vs_LSU_4.2
And finally, Bosch 4.9 LSU datasheet which also lists the calibration points - http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/media/c ... 659pdf.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:52 pm 

And to answer your question, I want to start with AEM firmware and then move onto custom model.

Soon I'll also have a Miata VVT head. I'm not sure if it's cam trigger is supported - so I'll probably need to get it added. Its a simple pattern (cam with 3 teeth in groups of 1 and 2, separated by 180*)

Signal looks like this (NB Cam signal)
Attachment:
miata-cam.gif
miata-cam.gif [ 4.93 KiB | Viewed 22658 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:00 pm 

I see mazda mzr...it's not that? If not I know they are open to add, you just need to send the scope traces to them.

You may have trouble with the AEM code on that ECU.....I thought the app specific stuff locks basic setup items but hopefully I'm wrong and they jsut give extra app specific features without locking anything.

I hadn't seen the OpenECU.....funny since my open5xxxecu project started as openecu but I changed when I saw the .com was taken for a re-flash product.

The heater control looks pretty straight forward in the spec sheet. I've been writing my stuff without even looking at the AEM code becasue I know they do not intend to "open" anything and I don't want my open stuff looking like theirs....so if you want to help and create an open 4.9 controller make sure its original work.