gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:30 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Like the author of the article said, CF wheels are prohibited in every racing series...

There is usually a reason for that ;)

Like cost... ;)

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
How much side loading do motorcycle wheels get vs. car wheels?

mk e wrote:
None. It was about gyro effect and dropping into the turns. Google says they were in moto GP until 2015 and removed as part of the cost reductions.

Right, so you wouldn't notice camber stiffness on motorcycle wheels because that's stiffness relative to side loading.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:39 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
mk e wrote:
There is usually a reason for that ;)

Like cost... ;)

Not in F1, probably not in indy or a couple others. Maybe.

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
mk e wrote:
None. It was about gyro effect and dropping into the turns. Google says they were in moto GP until 2015 and removed as part of the cost reductions.

Right, so you wouldn't notice camber stiffness on motorcycle wheels because that's stiffness relative to side loading.

Right, purely the gyro issue, its a big deal dropping into turns, teams were playing with 16, 16.5, 17" fronts. Also in the lower hp classes it matters to acceleration. It makes a pretty big difference and they were legal for years but pretty uncommon, most top teams ran magnesium wheels and had to have a xray or whatever testing plan.

Also look at a company like ferrari. They probably have more in house CF expertise than anyone in the world and don't make CF wheels. I think their is more to the issues than are well known/published....I still want them of course :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:05 pm 

Lamborghini has been working hard on CF expertise as well... check out their Sesto Elemento concept car.

Ferrari and Lambo being what they are, Koenigsegg and Ford still beat them to the CF wheel game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:32 am 

There is huge drop in unsprung weight too, which will make the suspension reacts different, and better if correctly tuned.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Ferrari and Lambo being what they are, Koenigsegg and Ford still beat them to the CF wheel game.

Which makes me thing its more about marketing than function. Koenigsegg in particular seems to be technology for the sake of technology. Ford fits carbon revolution wheels.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:32 am 

loopingz wrote:
There is huge drop in unsprung weight too, which will make the suspension reacts different, and better if correctly tuned.

Article on exactly your point and they found is significant.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1535 ... er-wheels/

Years ago I used to do motorcylce hillcimbs and when they banded paddle tires I made the switch the a 16"x8 tractor tire. The new tire was quite a bit heavier....the first time I rod it I realized I could have built a hardtail and ben better off as the only functional suspension action was the tire sidewall flexing......the thing would bounce over a bump, tire into the air then pogo the back of the bike up even higher on rebound. I think the sprung to unsprung ration was about 1. totally nonfunctional.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:51 am 

Forgot this...the CF wheels are not without issues
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thread ... re.104830/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 am 

Just found out Dymag also produces carbon wheels.

https://www.dymag.com/auto/

Of course everyone who builds carbon wheels does so in 19, 20 & 21" sizes... Does anyone build 18" carbon wheels?

There is a BAC Mono on BAT right now that claims to have 17" Dymag carbon wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am 

They are saying CF barrels and using the term hybrid wheels so I guess CF rim, forged center.

I didn't dig much on what was available as I planned to make them....not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBudMoe ... =3&theater

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next