gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:15 pm 

I couldn't think of a better title...

This thread is here to display how I go about pouring some metal for Mark, from the drawings, patterns, to the sand and metal.

Ive been told before that I make casting look easy from those who go out to their garage and try it. You should probably know its down to making a lot of mistakes the past 8yrs. Casting isn't an art, its just patience coupled with mistakes, trial and error plus frustration. If you can put up with those for the first 5yrs and still want to do it then you have learned the 'art'.........

I make my patterns by hand sometimes, other times I use the cnc(yes I have a cnc - doesn't mean it makes things easier - just quicker). Trained as a Cabinet Maker a LONG time ago so wood is easy for me. Basically anything goes.

Should be interesting and cant wait!

Brian,

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 pm 

I think the hardest part for you will be making the parts look rough and bad like the ferrari parts :)

Here's what the 400i covers look like

Attachments:
2015-01-08 002.JPG
2015-01-08 002.JPG [ 335.19 KiB | Viewed 22283 times ]
2015-01-08 003.JPG
2015-01-08 003.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 22283 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:38 pm 

I can bury them in the garden for 3 weeks if you like :lol:

I have no idea what the new ones need to look like, but it could be handy for you if you included 3 tabs for holding down while machining - no idea if Im machining, or if you want to, just saying! They could be machined/turned off after.

Three legged stool never rocks and all that...

Brian,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:43 am 

Brian.G wrote:
I can bury them in the garden for 3 weeks if you like :lol:

The sand they used is really course so they are really rough looking which was horrible looking when it was the whole engine but I think it would look great to have the contrast of the rough finish on a few trim pieces......if there's anyway to do it?

Brian.G wrote:
I have no idea what the new ones need to look like, but it could be handy for you if you included 3 tabs for holding down while machining - no idea if Im machining, or if you want to, just saying! They could be machined/turned off after.

Three legged stool never rocks and all that...

Brian,

Let me see what can be done. The goal is to get the cast finish on the surfaces that show so I want to be careful about what needs to be cut off of any surface the shows.

As far as the machining. I don't want to impose and I'm grateful that you've offered to help with the castings and I think they will add a really nice visual treat to the finished engine......but I will gladly accept any additional help so if they arrive all finished and ready to install then I guess it runs that much sooner :)

Thanks again Brian!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:05 pm 

Mark,

I have a few sand grades, and thats not even taking into account zircon mould wash/sealer so Ill host a few sample pics beside what I think you call rough.

No worries on machining - and ditto on keeping surfaces/edges rough and not zipped off gates/fixtures.

If you just draw the part size if you were machining from billet in terms of hole locations/shape then Ill figure out the rest. You can highlight on here what surfaces you need machined for counterbores/flanges.

No worries, its great to work on something for this project - Ive been a fan since nearly the start - 2 forums ago :lol:

Brian,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm 

I'll figure out what I want and get cad models put together early next week. Is there a format that's best for you? I have access to soldiworks but can save it in a number of other formats???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:03 pm 

Save it in stls - using a demo cam package I got last week and have been asked to give it a whirl - its stl import only though.

mms please :oops:

Brian,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:18 pm 

Here's the gaskets to give an idea of size and shape then I want to make them look similar to the 400 covers.

Attachments:
2015-01-00 001.JPG
2015-01-00 001.JPG [ 344.06 KiB | Viewed 22247 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:43 pm 

Have the old covers any features on the back bar the machined flange/face area where they meet to head?

Is there any signs of gate locations(at edge) on the old parts? If not I can gate/riser onto counterbores and pour with the parts/partline vertical to keep melt flow turbulence at the min.

If you have a dxf of gaskets/hole positions/outlines above and a thickness from mating face to counterbore face(finished part thickness) I can worry about the outer face/surfaces/shapes - dont waste your time doing cad on this one.

Brian,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 pm 

The 2 bigger ones are replacing distributor housings and can't be flat because the cam sticks out a little.....it's worth my time to make up the drawing I think to be sure you have all the info you need.

As for gates, I don't see anything so they were probably at the bolt holes/spot faces as you suggest. Honestly though, anywhere on the inside surface is just fine too because no one but me will ever see that side.

Attachments:
2015-01-00 006.JPG
2015-01-00 006.JPG [ 190.25 KiB | Viewed 22244 times ]
2015-01-00 007.JPG
2015-01-00 007.JPG [ 250.7 KiB | Viewed 22244 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next