gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:43 am 

Just as the subject says. Currently hunting down a donor vehicle - Gen3/4 LS and a 4Lxx.
No service manual for this thing exists, so we're winging it here. I made a great friend recently that has offered his help.

Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 537.25 KiB | Viewed 5206 times ]

It was on old paint truck owned by one company its whole life in Kobe Japan. 3L NA'd diesel that runs great - 90K's on the clock, but it was an oddball engine for the last couple of years of this generation. I'm tired of looking for info and I give up -> so just LS swap to something that I can manage for its new life in the US.

Always looking for feedback/help if you're in the Columbus, OH area.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:40 am 

How do you get a truck from Japan? Are there companies that broker the deal and shipping for you or Google translate or ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:50 am 

I found an importer that handled everything. A dude named Dave that runs 'carsfromafar' ... I think he has a youtube and instagram. Completely painless and super personable guy. Couldn't of been any easier.
As we speak, I'm leaving to go pick up a 6L LQ4 w/4L80. Pictures later tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:28 pm 

Just picked it up:
Attachment:
go-time.jpg
go-time.jpg [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 5190 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 am 

Could use help in locating a parking brake setup for a 4L80. Seems like people throw these away by the dozens and the current one on ebay is 700$.

Attachments:
4l80-pbrake0.jpeg
4l80-pbrake0.jpeg [ 110.18 KiB | Viewed 5150 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:01 am 

parking brakes are WAY over rated IMO ;)

That is not something I could imagine coming across so I'm not much happy. I will tell you that on the ferrari I bought a drift braking setup, which is really just a remote reservoir master cylinder and hooked it to my parking brake handle so when you pull it the rear brakes go on and the car stays put. $50 and 3-4 hours time give or take

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:19 am 

mk e wrote:
parking brakes are WAY over rated IMO ;)

That is not something I could imagine coming across so I'm not much happy. I will tell you that on the ferrari I bought a drift braking setup, which is really just a remote reservoir master cylinder and hooked it to my parking brake handle so when you pull it the rear brakes go on and the car stays put. $50 and 3-4 hours time give or take

Alright, I'll look into that!
The output shaft for the parking brake setup is different (not a simple tailhousing swap) .. so at this point I should just be looking for a complete trans if I really want this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:02 pm 

I love Haltech.
I talked to tech support (Nik) and told him about my wishes to integrate w/all the OEM body elec stuff and they sent me the CAN specs so I can 'translate' some of my controls and keep physical I/O's open for more time sensitive stuff. They told me all the info is free - no NDA needed.

So I have an R5 + iC7 dash on the way. All the little body stuff is going to be handled by it too. Super excited about gutting all the relays, etc. Everything has to be swapped over to 12v too.

These dudes are super transparent about everything and only wanted to see me succeed. Weird. Every single org I've ever dealt with about this stuff has been hell bent on protecting (shitty) secret sauce for some reason. They use Grayhill for their keypads which, surprisingly, also openly publish their CAN comms specs too.

As I work out the harness more, I'll post for feedback. I'll be at PRI too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:57 pm 

I used Haltech on several projects in the past and have always been pretty happy.....I thik yuo personally would be happier with enginelab as I suspect you'll want to do something easy and find you can't with most ECUs, but haltech is a great choice.